Friday, January 4, 2013

McDonald's Grilled Onion Cheddar Burger

A few months ago when at a blood drive, I found out that my iron level in my blood is very low. So low, in fact, that I would not be allowed to make a donation. They then tested the blood from the other hand which showed a level just above acceptable.  Now I have another excuse to eat more hamburgers!  Yup, that is how my reasoning goes.
I don’t know if it’s my curiosity or the convincing ad campaigns, but I love trying new burgers at fast-food chains.  Therefore, here is my short review of McDonald’s new “Grilled Onion Cheddar Burger”.

I have eaten grilled caramelized onions on burgers before and found them to be very tasty.  I love onions, cheese and burgers.  How could anybody get this burger wrong?

Just as my blood-iron level, this new burger is just above acceptable.  Then again, if I ate it with the other hand, it may fall below the acceptable level.  It is very close to the line.

Let’s start with the picture and description from the McDonald's website.

Is your mouth watering yet?  Not too bad of a description even if MS Word says it is not a complete sentence.  The picture is also very nice!  I would love to try a burger that looks like that!

Here is the packaging and pictures of the actual burger I ate.


Meh, a little on the sloppy side.  I know I should never expect it to look like the advertisement but it is always fun to compare.

I would classify this as a mini-burger.  It has the tiny patty that is most likely used on their other small burgers.

Nutritional Information found on McDonalds Website

As what normally occurs when eating a burger, my tongue (the section of my body that picks up most of the taste when eating) first hit the lower bun, then the burger, then the cheese, then the onion. Here are my thoughts that were transferred from my tongue.
  •         The burger is dry. There are no condiments. The creators probably assumed that the caramelized onions would give enough wetness to counter the dryness.  However, this does not help when your onions are slid to one side of the patty.
  •         And cheese? I could not taste the cheese.
  •         The onions were moist and had a slight pepper taste. They were not too greasy.  Clearly the best part.
  •         The patty was warm and the onions were cold. Yuck!
  •         The taste of the meat and the onions do play in harmony, neither overpowering the other.
  •         Overall taste was not offensive but a little on the plain side.
  •         No aftertaste. Hard to have one when it does not have much of a taste at all.
Final thoughts: This burger will not fill you up.  This is most likely why it is sold in a pair when ordered as a meal. It is only a dollar but I would not waste my daily allotment of calories on this. Look elsewhere on the menu.

2.5/5 Stars


1 comment:

  1. Pretty revealing to see the contrast between the marketing photo and the real thing! Nice review!

    ReplyDelete